Monday, October 1, 2018

Missing the Old & Appreciating the New


Today marks 3 weeks that we've been living at Tantur in Jerusalem, Israel. Here are some things I miss most and appreciate most.

Things I most miss about our US home...
  • Access to a library, especially for picture books
  • Diet soda
  • Ice-cream
  • NPR
  • My car
  • Knowing where my kids and Steve are all the time and being able to reach them
  • Church nursery
  • A loud powerful box fan in my room to help block noise and keep me cool
  • Sugar-free drinks like Crystal Light
  • Free healthcare
  • A bigger selection of clothes and shoes
  • Our music (cds)
  • My blender
  • Bagels, donuts, coffeecake and waffles/pancakes
  • Bright greens of grass and trees, and the coming of autumn colors
  • Our creek
The boys play at Pohick Creek, near our VA home
Things I most appreciate about our new "home"...
  • Beautiful grounds with roses, fountains, flowering bushes, cacti and pine trees
  • Neighbor children who are such good friends to my own kids
  • Community with whom to share things like going to church, running errands, watching kids, and eating meals
  • Thoughtful discussions about important topics with folks who have a distinctly non-US-centric world view
  • Outdoor space for the kids to run around
  • Not having to cook my meals
  • Diversity -- of language and nationality and beliefs and age
  • Not worrying about the police or DCFS getting called on me because my kids are 'free-range'
  • Nice temps, cool nights, and dry air (for the most part)
  • An up-close view of the Palestine conflict
    Miriam plays with her new neighbor friends

No comments: