Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Hands are Full

Ethan's recently re-discovered this blog of mine, and has gone back to the beginning days to start reading. It just so happens that my first blog posts were written during the first months of Ethan's life. I've only glanced through a few, but it's fun to see what I recorded about life with 2 preschoolers and an infant. There were many sweet moments, though difficult ones as well, and they'd be lost if I hadn't written them down.

Twelve years later, here I am again, with a preschooler and a baby, and there are so many things I want to record to remember later about our current ups and downs, and these fleeting precious days. But I find it hard to even have two hands to type on a computer, for Selah requires nursing and being held almost constantly. And when I have time without her in my arms, I'm almost always either helping Miriam in some way or trying to keep up with the house and homeschooling. Or I'm in bed -- reading!!

I'd like to make more of a habit, though, of chronicling these days. I was inspired by an article (that I skim-read quite briefly) that encouraged people to create 'rituals' in order to begin and keep new habits -- setting aside a concrete amount of time that will be held as a priority, whether one likes it or not, for a prescribed purpose. I thought of writing as something I'd like to begin to do daily, even just for a 10-minute time period, and exercise is another ritual I need to get back to.

For today's memory that I'd love to treasure always: there is a priest here on sabbatical named David and he's eaten quite a few breakfasts in the dining hall with us recently. He's always sweet to Miriam and enjoys talking to Selah as well. He admitted a few days ago that, while he likes children, he doesn't feel capable of caring for them or holding them. This morning, however, when I asked who could hold Selah while I got my coffee, he volunteered! And then he held her for about 10 minutes, during which time, she was content and cuddly. Seeing him enjoy her sweet baby self brought joy to my heart, and I want to treasure that memory. Hopefully it won't be his last time holding her...

1 comment:

Saralynn Blyth Nege said...

Disciplining oneself to write regularly is so hard! I'm glad you're making the effort! I just hope it doesn't add an extra stress of something you feel like you *should* be doing. Thanks for sharing this sweet moment!