Thursday, March 22, 2012
Day in Boston
1) Site of the first public school in America.
2) Old State House -- seat of Massachusetts colonial government, the balcony of which was where MA citizens first heard the Declaration of Independence read aloud.
3) Cambridge commons -- where George Washington gathered his continental army and was encamped for the first 2 years of the war.
4) Site of the Boston massacre -- outside the Old State House, where colonists were shot by British soldiers, which of course helped start the Revolutionary War.
5) Granary burial ground, 1660 -- resting place of John Hancock, Phyllis Wheatley, and Paul Revere, among others.
Posted by Lisa Gertz