Saturday, April 9, 2011

Things I Miss...

about America:

  • my bread machine
  • my electric mixer
  • having a car
  • my pastry cutter
  • Root beer
  • Cool whip
  • Always understanding everybody
  • Being able to easily read all price tags and signs
  • Endless water supply
  • Hot water on demand
  • Mexican food
  • Big libraries
  • Wearing seatbelts
  • Not standing out as different
  • air conditioning and central heat
  • One-stop shopping at places like Wal-Mart

about Great Britian:

  • Gorgeous old architecture everywhere
  • Libraries within walking distance
  • The Thames
  • Green
  • British vocabulary and accents
  • Orderliness (queuing!!)
  • Zed
  • Ginger beer and lemonade (fizzy)
  • Ginger cake & mince pies
  • Buses and trains
  • Zebra crossings
  • River walks and other paths
  • Cycling
  • A keen awareness & interest in European & world affairs
  • Tea with milk and sugar
  • Choir-singing (me and Naomi)

And what I think I'll miss about Jordan:

  • Best fresh pita bread ever
  • Fresh hummus
  • Fresh falafel
  • Palm trees
  • Cheap taxis
  • Very international church
  • Spacious house
  • Sunshine
  • Modestly dressed women
  • Camels, sheep, donkeys & goats
  • Crazy driving
  • Bakeries
  • Roman ruins and Biblical sites
  • Arab music
  • tea with mint
  • being next door to a corner shop that carries (almost) everything!

But of course, for everywhere, what I miss (or will miss) the most is dear people. Family who have known me my whole life. Friends that I've made recently, and friends who I've known for years. And godly, Bible-teaching, hospitable churches in every home we've had.

No comments: