Saturday, March 28, 2009

I know I’m a mom when…

I find stones (and feathers and seed puffs) in my pockets


I stop in the middle of the sidewalk to watch a construction site


I find toys hidden in my shoes


I take super-quick showers


I put all scissors and permanent markers up as high as I can reach


I have “Wheels on the Bus” running through my head


I have a picture book (currently Hairy Maclary) memorized


I’m nonplussed by wiping snotty noses


I notice various animals and vehicles even when not with my children and feel like shouting out, “Hey, there’s a …..!”


I can serve myself and three kids at a potluck, carrying 3 plates on one arm


I don’t go anywhere without a spare diaper and wipes


I wake up at a moment’s notice, any time of the night


I can tell something’s up just by the silence


I’ve breast-fed and changed nappies for what seems like 6 ½ years straight!!


I'm drawn as a stick figure with curly hair and labeled "MOMO" (based on the rule that "o" says "ah" in beginning phonetics)


I somehow explain intercourse, racism, mastectomies, and countless other topics on a regular basis in language that my kids mostly understand!


I comfort my sobbing daughter who’s traumatized by seeing a whale calf separated from its mother, attacked and killed by orcas in a nature video


My kids cuddle against me as I read book after book to them


My art ideas are copied by the cutest little amateur artists


I’m forgiven and loved even after messing up so much

1 comment:

ErinOrtlund said...

Cute list Lisa! I can relate of course!