Thursday, June 21, 2007

Confessions of an Over-Eater

June 15

I’m giving up sweets (candy, chocolate, and cookies). I’m like an alcoholic: once I begin, I can’t stop. I keep telling myself that the root issue is self-control, and that to develop this fruit of the Spirit, I need to give myself opportunities to eat only a bit of chocolate. But tonight, I’m changing. It hasn’t worked to eat only a bit, so now I’m eating none. I’m going to live the verse “flee from temptation” and give it up entirely.

Is there a support group for this sort of thing? “Overeaters Anonymous” or something?

On the positive side, I’ve been exercising an hour each day, and feel much more in shape. Now I just have to lose these extra pounds.

4 comments:

ErinOrtlund said...

Yep, me too. It can be so hard to resist cravings! Let me know how it goes!

Dodi said...

Yes, there is an Overeaters Anonymous. It's a wonderful program. It is based on AA; we substitute food for alcohol and compulsive overeater for alcoholic. The focus is spiritual. Check out their website: http://www.oa.org/index.htm.

Anonymous said...

Who'da thunk there'd be an overeaters' support group? But it's a fabulous idea. Sister, I salute you in your decision to just stop eating sweets altogether. (I don't really think you needed to, but it's your opinion that matters.) Good luck!

mrtoad said...

I know just the thing: mail me ALL you sweets, I'll even pay 1/2 of the postage! And any time you buy a new sweet, snail-mail it to me before you have a chance to eat it!

Seriously, glad you all go through your van misadventure unscathed. Erin and I think about you guys a lot and pray for you too. Take care and call anytime!

PS, nice poetry--cheered my spirit.